Fighting Obesity and Chronic Illnesses
The proliferation of chronic illnesses among our youth has sounded an alarm throughout the health community. The staggering statistics below provide a snapshot of some of the serious challenges facing children and teens:*
* Approximately 20% of youth between 6 and 19 years of age are obese
* 61% of obese youth have at least one additional risk factor for heart disease
* Obesity increases risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes
* 15% of youth have high cholesterol levels
* 3 million US teens are smokers; smoking may cause 75% of heart disease cases in youth who otherwise have a very low risk of developing heart disease
* 80% of 3rd – 6th graders are dissatisfied with their weight and body image
* 1 in 5 females struggle with eating disorders; 90% of this group is comprised of females between the ages of 12 and 25
* 11% of high school students have been diagnosed with an eating disorder
* 50,000 individuals will die each year as a result of eating disorders
These facts are astounding. It is evident that we need to get our kids active! Yoga is a great way to do this, since it’s not a group sport, so to speak, it’s always available year round. Get you kids involved to day!
Tune in to the next few days to read more related issues.. including Kill you TV, Improve Balance, Relieve Childhood Anxiety, Treating the Mind Through the Body.
Find out more at http://www.yoga-recess.org