By Sarena Ulibarri, eHow Contributor
Yoga is an ancient system of physical exercise, breathing techniques and meditation practices that aim to strengthen the body and calm the mind. Yoga can be a useful tool for both children and adults, and yoga for children may be especially helpful for developing focus, calmness and body awareness.
- An article in Yoga Journal points out that many children are under great stress from school, peers, activities and home life. Yoga may be able to help children reduce stress and deal more effectively with stressful situations.
- Yoga helps calm the mind and bring peace even into situations that would normally provoke anger. In theory, children who learn these skills early will be less prone toward anger as adults.
- Yoga helps to develop body awareness, which can increase self esteem in children as their bodies change and grow. Yoga can also help children maintain flexibility as they grow.
- According to research conducted at the University of Heidelberg, yoga for children can be effectively used in conjunction with medication to treat children with ADHD.
- Yoga for children should be presented in a fun and simple manner that children can relate to. Companies such as YogaKids, Yoga Calm, Karma Kids Yoga and Rainbow Kids Yoga, Kids Yoga Guide that trains instructors to teach yoga for children and produce DVDs for kids yoga at home.