Last night my daughter Grace (now 5) and I, as well as our extended family went to see Disney on Ice. It was our first time, and it was great for kids and adults. As I watched the show, I couldn’t help but notice the commonalities to kids yoga. Here are the top 5 things that I found!
1. The both believe in magic and that your dreams really do come true! Living in the moment and believing in yourself while have fun really is the magic of life. Live the dream!
2. Watching the skaters slide, turn and spin… made me think of all the fun movements we practice in kids yoga.. it’s free flowing and great exercise. A well balanced program of cardio, strength and flexibility, full fun body movements.
3. Pretending. Traveling to exotic places. Disney took trips to Hawaii, China, Japan, the North Pole. In yoga we always fly somewhere and pretend we are different objects, animals, and visit fun destinations, exploring the world. They both encourage you to use your imagination.
4. Grace & Carina, cousins who love them both, oh yes, and thousands of other kids too!
5. It’s FUN! What a blast, to shout out Boo to the Villains to get them to leave, to help Micky stay away from the poisonous apple that put Snow White to out… and marvel at the flying broomsticks. Reminds me of our fun Halloween class, acting like sweeping tress and more. I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face last night and the kids where intensely focused on the characters before them. 😉